Welcome to my blog! Here you will find out what my family and I are up to!

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Finally, a winter wonderland!

It snowed! We woke up Wednesday morning and the world was covered in a quiet, white blanket. We got about 4 inches. We usually go to school after lunch, but that day was David's big field trip to the dinosaur exhibit at the children's museum. So, I had to get all the kids out the door by 7:45 am (we didn't quite make our target time), drive through the snowy streets of Indianapolis, drop David off at 8:30 am and then drive home. That was my first introduction to snow driving. First, the windshield wiper fluid froze on my windshield. It took a few minutes of panic and me squinting out the tiny area that was clear before I realized I needed to warm up the windshield with the defrost button. Problem number one solved. The streets were not too bad, but I went a lot slower than usual. Once I got to the school I pulled into the drive and started making the slow, curvy drive to the front door. Immediately my back wheels started to slide to the right. I panicked again and turned the wheel to the right. My wheels then started to slide left. I pulled the wheel to the left and miraculously I was able to straighten out the car without careening into one of the ponds on each side of the road. Whew! Heart was beating kinda fast at that point, but I successfully got David to school on time. The drive home was a lot less stressful. Unfortunately I spent the next few hours worrying as David went on his first ever school bus trip to his first ever field trip without one of his parents or grandparents traveling along. Thankfully he had a great time and arrived back at the school safe and sound.

The kids then spent the next 3 hours, yes 3 hours, out in the snow. They had the best time! The sun had come out by then and it must have warmed up to 20 or 30 degrees! I took Hannah out for a few minutes so I could get some photos of the kids. She didn't mind being in the snow. She was quite curious. She was able to walk around some and play with the boys, until she fell face first into the snow and found out just how cold it was. I took her in after that. Her poor cheeks were bright red. We still have snow on the ground today and it's supposed to snow again tonight. Fortunately I don't have to go anywhere in the morning. Oh, and I didn't have to use my ice scraper either. Someone even came and shoveled and salted my walkway. That's one nice thing about living in an apartment complex! Good thing too since I haven't bought a snow shovel yet.

I'll leave you with a few shots of the kids playing. Just remember as you put on your shorts and flip flops (that's you Noelle) what we lack in warmth, we make up for in fun and beauty!









2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mimi..I keep your page bookmarked and am always so glad when I check out your blog and all the wonderful pictures. You are so talented and artistic. I am truly in awe of you. Thank you for sharing your gift with the rest of us. Your children are so blessed to have their childhood chronicled so beautifully!

Love you guys! Cousin Joy

5:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us this address. The kids loved seeing all the pictures--we went back through all that you posted just for fun. We hope to get our holiday card out in Jan. (We're not crossing our fingers since we are still trying to get gifts.) The Amidons

To David, Luke, & Hannah, From Lily and Nathaniel--We miss you.

4:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home